Validation Service for Blood Pressure Monitors Procedure for Manufacturers


  • The cost to perform the study in accordance with the European Society of Hypertension International Protocol for validation of blood pressure measuring devices in adults (2002) is available on request from bhs@le.ac.uk
  • We would supply a contract for you to sign agreeing to the terms of the validation study. A complementary contract would also be agreed between the BHS and the validation centre
  • Payment of 75% of the total study cost will be required from you to commence the study.  The remaining 25% is payable at the end of Phase 1 in order to progress to Phase 2 and completion of the study
  • You must supply the test device which should be selected at random from the production line, delivered to the validation centre (nominated by the BHS).  You may wish to supply more than one device 
  • You must supply a selection of cuffs which should comply with the sizes ranges specified on the BHS website click here
  • The validation centre is contracted by the BHS to perform the study in strict accordance with the International Protocol (2002)
  • The study will be completed in the shortest time possible but  approximately 12 months should be allowed
  • We will supply regular updates on progress
  • If the device passes the required criteria of the International Protocol, we will give you a full report, a certificate and approval to use the BHS logo on packaging and advertising.  The device will be automatically added to the list of validated blood pressure monitors on the BHS website
  • The study documentation will remain the property of the BHS
  • The validation centre (under the auspices of the BHS) has the right to publish the report of the study in a peer reviewed journal. 
  • The validation centre will comply with your wishes regarding the return to you or other disposal of the device(s) upon completion of the study
  • To commission a BHS Validation Study, complete the Application Form and return to  bhs@le.ac.uk